The balance shoes will have variations depending on the product. However, the basic function and adjustment remain the same.
Windows with adjustable balance shoes are:
• Clad Wood Architectural Double Hung
• Clad Wood Comfort-Tilt Double Hung
• Vinyl Single Hung
• Vinyl Double Hung
Step 1: Locate the Adjustment Screw on each balance shoe. There are two balance shoes, one left and one right, for each operating sash. When adjusting, you should adjust both sides equally.
• Clad Wood Architectural DH - access by tilting the sash
• Clad Wood Comfort-Tilt DH - access with sash closed, beneath the sash where it meets the jamb liner
• Vinyl Single Hung and Double Hung - access by tilting the sash
Step 2: Use an appropriate sized Flat Head Screw Driver to turn the Adjustment Screw as follows:
• To increase resistance (make it tighter) turn the screw clockwise one full turn
• To decrease the resistance (make it looser) turn the screw counter-clockwise one full turn.
Step 3: Test the operation of the sash.
• If the sash raises and lowers without too much resistance and stays in place when released, the sash adjustment is correct
• If the sash does not stay in place when released, repeat the process and test again.
• If the sash is too tight or too difficult to raise and lower, reduce the shoe resistance by loosening the adjustment screw
Important Note: The balance shoe adjustment will only work correctly if the window has been properly installed and shimmed (see our installation instructions). Additionally, the rest of the balance system must be working properly. Contact our Customer Service Department if you have any questions.